Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Corporate Question

Recently (just last night, in fact), I found myself thinking of the oft-debated topic of our beloved independent music gone corporate. Postal Service on UPS commercials, Sonic Youth pandering to Starbucks, Feist, The Walkmen, The Books, Iron & Wine, Jose Gonzalez, Phoenix, all lending their sweet indie mojo to the enemy. How dare they sell-out. That's my mojo! I knew about it before anybody else. Sadly, this was my initial and embarrassingly naive attitude towards music gone corporate. I looked unfavorably upon bands I had considered sell-outs, and I rejected all arguments to the contrary without consideration. But my increasing interest in music (and time spent with poor musicians) gradually assuaged much of my initial criticism, and I began to adopt a different outlook. Namely, to read, think, talk, and learn about something before I stupidly venture an uninformed opinion. My current stance is something I like to see as more optimistic and realistic--while I admit I relish the false sense of exclusivity that comes from "discovering" and listening to obscure bands, I also recognize my desire to see good music circulated among others. I also see the need for artists to make some money for what they're doing. If it's all amateur blog praise and illegal downloads, how will said obscure artists possibly subsist to create more awesome music? So you sold a song to UPS? Shouldn't more people be listening to the Postal Service?

Anyway, I stumbled across this article on the always-trustworthy and awesome Tiny Mix Tapes entitled, Corporate Takeover: The Collapse of the Muzak/Music Distinction, and it got me thinking. Got me thinking about how little I've really considered this topic. I encourage you to read the article, as it is thought provoking and informative. I also encourage you to follow links to the Muzak Music website, as well as the DMX (not the rapper) website. Both are scary, but I think it's important to know about the business of selling music (in businesses...)

No comments: